Tuesday 27 May 2014

Travel memory....

When I was out and about with Venetian photographer Marco on our photo walk, I had the opportunity to simply 'chat' with him and ask him some questions which puzzled me.  I asked if there was any significance to all the bas relief 'faces' and figures often at the top of doorways throughout Venice.

"Yes!", he exclaimed. "They would probably be over the doors that are right on the canal, or on streets that were once canals.  Many have been paved over.  In the past people believed that at night there were many evil spirits 'on the water'.  The faces are to keep the spirits from entering the portals into their homes."

Cool.



 (Yes,that fixed stare and those bulging eyes would scare me!")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)