Tuesday 27 May 2014

High drama!

Alright- tee, a travel adventure....  

Last visit my old friend Peni and I (who had traveled with me) had been struck by the sheer number of gypsies (Roma) there were begging in Rome and in Venice. 




Also we were greatly annoyed by the sheer number of North African's selling knock off purses and 'cheap kiddie crap' such as slimy goo and twirling lights.  The latter were most aggravating because you couldn't seem to take a step without one calling out to get your attention.

Really?  I just walked by and/or said a vehement "NO!" to this guy's kiddie slimy goo, why would you think I would stop and inspect the same kiddie slimy goo 10 steps further? 

Happily, this visit I noticed a huge reduction in both the number of these individuals begging and selling on the streets, but also that now, two years later, that they no longer tried to actively solicit your interest but remained mum as you walked by.  A big improvement!  There must have been a crackdown, I thought.

I truly do think this is the case as witnessed by myself and Donna, one of the Rick Steves' group members, when we were wandering through the calle of Venice together...

So picture this...

We are simply strolling along enjoying a glorious day in Venice away from the main touristry areas.  All of a sudden we heard a lot of shouting.  We stopped and turned.  There coming toward us in a gallop was a North African man with a string of purses (looped together) over his shoulder.  

We plastered ourselves against the wall as he sprinted by. Before we could even blink, a second man sped by with his purses.  Coming up there were two more men - a policeman and a third North African.  The policeman was able to grab him and a wee shuffle ensued.

Donna and I remained paralyzed, pressed up against the wall.  

There was some shoving and lots of raised voices (in Italian).  The North African began to shout over the shoulder of the Italian policeman. 

Naturally Donna and I did not understand what was said, but within seconds the second man who had already escaped returned to the scene.  The man being held by the policeman hurled his loop of counterfeit purses over the head of the policeman! It landed right in front of Donna and I, about 5 or 6 feet away!

You know, for one split second - quickly rejected - I actually thought I should grab the purses.  But I did not.

The North African who had returned instantly scooped them up and disappeared a second time.

The policeman scuffled a bit more with the 3rd man and then marched him away.  There was muttering.  A pair of sun glasses that had fallen during the scuffle remained on the pavement.

I guess protecting the merchandize investment is more important than getting away?

What boldness of that second man to return to collect it, though?   Actually, I could use another phrase (also starting with a 'b' but for politeness sake won't).  So, yes - we witnessed one example of a crackdown! 

Side note:  Just about a half hour earlier we also saw a young, petite gypsy girl with a begging cup being frog marched away by 3 big Italian policemen.  I know it is sad, but I am happy to see this action - but surely there is a better solution to these problems?  If so, it has to be tackled by all of the EU because it is huge, not just in Italy. 

 


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that would be something to witness! Definitely dramatic. I strongly dislike being harassed to buy things, though I do worry what the police actually do with the street vendors and panhandlers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something to witness. By in large I think Italy treats them humanely. It's just that given where they are, they are a magnet for these illegal immigrants. I think Italy has appealed to the EU for assistance since more and more people from both Romania and North African arrive each day.

      Delete
  2. Carolynn, that was definitely an exciting memory to recall from our trip -- kind of like a "Cops: Venice" episode on TV! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! Do you also remember the incredible, multi-coloured coat/jacket of that man who came out of a nearby restaurant/shop to witness all the commotion? I wish I could have gotten a picture of his flamboyant outfit but that would have been rude. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)