Saturday 17 May 2014

UPDATED POST June 18 - STILL not yet done with Venice!

 A few stories.... some, but not all, of the following pictures were taken when Marco and I were on our photo walk.  So picture Marco hovering over my shoulder giving me advice.  "The picture to take is...." .  Then he would always add "... in my opinion."

One of the following pictures Marco took.  He had my camera because he was demonstrating a way to set its semi-automatic features.  He spied a good photo opportunity.  He took the picture and passed the camera over to me and when I looked at it, I loved it.  I said simply, "Thank you Marco."

He smiled.  I added, "You know Marco, I am going to tell everybody I took that shot."

Marco laughed and flung up his hands.  He said, "But OF COURSE YOU TOOK THAT SHOT!  IT'S ON YOUR CAMERA!  WHO ELSE COULD HAVE TAKEN THAT SHOT? OF COURSE YOU TOOK THAT SHOT!"

Can you guess which of the following Marco took?

RE: the photo of the man with the hat walking.  I took that shot and was pretty proud of myself since I had been trying to follow Marco's advice among which was taking photos that "tell a story", "capture the mood or essence of a place", etc.  

I handed the camera to him to critique.  He did compliment me telling me in general I have a "very good eye, especially for the tourist shot" (which he told me to continue to do).  Side note:  Not necessarily the strongest of endorsements, but I'll take it.  Marco is an experienced commercial photographer after all and I'm glad his standards are high. :) 

However with the man with the hat walking one he had more feedback to give.  

"But CAROLYNN, he is NOT BALANCED!  Our bodies have postures which should in pictures be BALANCED.  In walking it is when you are STEPPING FORWARD.  THIS MAN IS JUST RAISING HIS FOOT.  HE IS NOT BALANCED!"  

Good feedback but I figure I was lucky to get the shot I did.  :)  :)  :)  (I tried to pay better attention in the future, though.)

Once again, for your viewing pleasure click on the first photo and then click to scroll through them.














And yes folks, there will be more of Venice still.  Just count your lucky stars if you are merely a 'blog viewer'.  Just think what all my friends and family will be subjected to re: pictures since what you see here is but a mere fraction of what they will have to view... in person, in an album, with a lengthy explanation by me.  

2 comments:

  1. Carolynn,
    I've thoroughly enjoyed your blog -- especially all your beautiful photos. They bring back many wonderful memories of our fantastic RS tour, and I even recall being present when you took some of the photos (i.e., the overhead shot of the gondolier as he passed under the bridge, the empty marketplace, etc.) I'll always remember the beautiful canal reflections. I think Marco would certainly approve of your work:)

    I still need to edit my own photos, but can't bring myself to delete any of them -- particularly the ones of Venice, my personal favorite city.

    We certainly had a good time exploring such an amazing place! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have only just begun to skim through all my pictures to decide which I want to get printed and put on a coffee table album... I think I have them down to 850. My album is 400 photos. What to do? What to do?

      Answer: Ahh, keep 'em all. BUT have 400 printed, other missed into either a FaceBook album OR used in a DVD presentation. I did that with some pictures of my last trip in 2012 and put them to music. (Who am I kidding? My brother-in-law ART did it for me... ran 30 minutes to some incredible dramatic Italian music. I want to do it again for this trip.... MORE projects! BUT - makes the whole experience even better to return and cherish and preserve and share these memories, right?

      Delete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)