Monday 5 January 2015

Flamenco dancing!

Flamenco is a form of Spanish folk music and dance from the southern region of Spain - Andalusia. It includes cante (singing), toque (guitar playing), baile (dance) and palmas (handclaps). 

In 2010 UNESCO declared flamenco one of the “Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity”.
 
Antonio said that Flamenco and its costumes – the dress, shawls, hair pieces, shoes, fans etc. of flamenco is still very much “alive” in Spain. Each year there are new flamenco styles, patterns etc. brought out for the season. The dance and music is still common and taught.
 
Our tour experience included a wonderful dinner, followed by an incredible flamenco performance at “El Patio, Sevillano” (Seville). Seville is famous for its Flamenco. 

Prior to the dinner one of its performers came out to speak with the group bringing with her some of her own flamenco costumes. She demonstrated how the hair pieces, shawls etc. are worn. Re: the shawls - Antonio said many dancers feel exposed without their shawls, wanting them to cover their 'ravine' – aka cleavage. ( I laugh.)

OH how I envy her beautiful dresses – as well as her skills as a flamenco dancer!

How much do I wish I had one of those dresses, as well as a suitably grand occasion to attend thus attired! And, of course, the good looking boyfriend (age appropriate) to take me.

Oh well. I guess that's where imagination comes into play. 

No pictures were allowed during the performance. However earlier while in Mijas, fellow group traveller Ellen and I had been treated (no better word for it) to a free flamenco performance in Mijas's central square. 

It was absolutely magical! I took pictures there. It was tough to photograph given the movement, but hopefully these will give you a wee sense of the drama, passion and beauty of the dances. 

Travel memory:

Our dinner at “El Patio” included wine. During the performance our group was also allowed to order one more drink. Those of us who hadn't finished our dinner wine took our wine glasses into the performance hall to finish before ordering our additional one. 

One of my fellow travellers (Was it Rich? – or was it Ben?) recommended to me to “fill it to the top” before I left the dining area. 

I laughed. 

He said, "I'm not kidding."

So I did.

Then later as we took our seats in the performance T.J. sat down next to me and I saw him glance quizzically at my absolutely brimming full glass of wine. I told him how I took Rich's/Ben's (?) recommendation.

T.J. simply dryly said, “So I see.”

Ah yes. I laughed.
It's good to giggle.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)