Saturday 31 January 2015

Elavador de Santa Justa and cable car treat! (And more)

Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon is situated on 7 hills and has a complex of public trams and cable cars serving its city. On our orientation walk Antonio explained how the process works, ticket prices, when and where best to catch certain scenic routes, etc. 

Travel memory: Picture our little group all gathered around Antonio intently listening to his instructions should we elect on our free time to take a cable care ride around the city. That is all except – yes, you guessed it – me. I was there (in body at least) but my back was to the group as I was busily and wildly snapping pictures (this is what got me into trouble in the Alhambra). Without even pausing, glancing at me or taking a breath in his speech, Antonio reached out and discretely and lightly gave my shoulder a little tap. 

I giggle... Lisbon was nearing the end of our trip and by then Antonio knew his flock well – i.e. Who know who might need a wee reminder to pay attention! It was hugely appreciated by me, by the way. I whipped around and behaved myself.

I did not end up going on Antonio's recommended cable car ride – route 28 if my memory serves me? (See! I can pay attention!) But that was due to lack of time, not motivation. However, I did join Antonio and other tour members on a walk taken a bit later which included a short – but fun! - cable car ride up one of Lisbon's hills and then a trip down on Lisbon's only vertical street life, the “Elevador de Santa Justa”

The cable care ride was fun. I loved the graffiti on the car. Antonio said they regularly clean it off but it is almost immediately decorated again. I secretly admit to actually really liking the graffiti on this car as well as on some of the walls on the trip up. 

In between the cable ride and the elevator ride down, Antonio took us to a wonderful square that offered some splendid panoramic views of Lisbon – even out to its port. 

We also popped into “The oldest and most beautiful Brewery in Portugal” (Cervejaria Trindade). Here we viewed a wonderfully decorated room with tiles from the1800s, on a site that had originally been the "Convent of the Trinos Friars of the Redemption of Captives" in 1294. This order had been dedicated to the rescue of Christian prisoners from the infidels. It had suffered fires and other disasters and was purchased and converted to a brewery in 1836.  It is is now it is a restaurant and brewery. 

If this wasn't enough, we also paid an impromptu visit to the church of Sao Roque. It was just incredible – so lavish, so beautiful – so holy - but no pictures allowed. I recommend you go visit it yourself. 

All this Antonio did although I believe he should have been on his own free time.
Thank you Antonio!

See pictures – click on them.  (PS - the empty beer and glasses etc. were NOT down to me... thought it just added a bit of 'atmosphere' to my photo.  



















:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)