Friday 30 January 2015

Alhambra

Alhambra
Granada, Andalusia, Spain

Alhambra is a palace and fortress complex originally constructed in 889. It fell into disrepair until the mid 11th century when it was rebuilt by the Moorish emir Mohammed ben Al-Ahamar of the Emirate of Granada. It was converted into a royal palace in 1333 by Yusuf I, Sultan of Granada.

After the conquest of Granada by the Reyes Catolicos (Catholic Monarchs) in 1492 some portions were used by Christians Rulers. The Palace of Charles V, built by Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor in 1527 was constructed within Alhambra's fortification walls.

The Alhambra fell again into disrepair for centuries, during which time the buildings were occupied by squatters. Its importance was again recognized in the 19th century and restorations were made. It is now one of Spain's major tourist attractions, exhibiting the country's most significant and well known Islamic architecture. Alhambra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Travel memory: Before we left the bus to join our local guides, Antonio gave us all the name of the local restaurant where we would be having lunch following our visit to the Alhambra. He also pointed it out to us as we drove past it (in the shadow of the Alhambra). He did this in case members of the group got separated since the Alhambra is such a huge complex with more than one exit point.

Why do I share this?

I laugh.

Yes, you guessed it.... I got separated from the group (heavy sigh). In my (feeble) defense, I was not alone and there were a couple of other 'stragglers' in the group, although I fear it was only because they may have been relying on and following me. ( If so, not the wisest decision on their part.)

Happily, when we reached an exit point and our group was clearly not beyond it, we doubled back. Also happily – and in a wee panic – I was able to scurry ahead and finally spy our group in the distance. Thank you Ruth for your bright red jacket! Thank you Tuay for your bright pink jacket! Thank you Suausipam and Darlene for you blue jackets! I was on the right track! And then I spied Antonio waiting by the (correct) exit point looking for the lost members of his flock. 

 What can I say?
 Antonio must have the patience of a saint.

What of the Alhambra itself? 

The word of the trip – if you haven't already guessed it – is AMAZING. Breathtakingly beautiful as a complex, as well as the views of Granada it offers, set up high on the mountain side. Its reflecting pools, its fountains, its other water features, its room decorations, its columns – incredible.

I relive its beauty in my photos.
I share its beauty in my photos.
Don't forget to click on them for best effect!














 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)