Wednesday 24 December 2014

Reputation in tatters in Mijas!

This is a 'further to', to the previous post... so please read it first.  Otherwise, it won't make as much sense as it could...

Essentially the story does not end with the last post (Alas, no.)

With my reputation of possessing Marco Polo-like abilities already compromised, who would know by the end of the day it would end up in utter tatters? Such was the sad, sad, sad case….

Okay, so we got to Mijas already, but at some point we had to get back….

Really you would not think that should have been a problem. We were to catch the return bus at the exact same spot we were dropped off. We were to get off the bus at the exact same spot where we picked it up. How much clearer could it be? What is the issue?

Well it was, alas, an issue for Ellen and I who were returning together. The problem was that we didn’t get on the bus at the best location (as clearly illustrated by Terry) so we hadn’t clearly imprinted the landmark where we were to get off upon return. 

We both had noticed a decorative fountain however. Consequently, we dutifully pushed the ‘request stop’ button and disembarked at the first operational fountain we saw. We did this although – as both of us confessed to each other later – our instincts were screaming it was not the right place.

Nor was it and we knew this instantly. We knew it really in fact before the tail lights of the bus had even disappeared from our forlorn view. But there was nothing we could do. Nothing of course except begin walking….

And walk we did. A short way along we came to a landmark that both of us remembered on our first journey – at least we were on the right track! – but then things didn’t look quite so familiar…

With our confidence jeopardized we asked a man on the street. He was British. (Residents from the UK flock to Spain each year during the winter months.) We wanted to get to the intersection of “San Migue”. 

He looked at us and said, “But that’s in Torremolinos!”
 
Oh my. Not only had we gotten off at the wrong bus stop, we had gotten off in the wrong TOWNSHIP

How sad is that? Yes, my reputation as Marco Polo reincarnated was in ruin.

Side note: He gave us clear directions with the realistic time frame of steady walking for 20 minutes and it found us back in familiar territory. 

Ellen and I agreed we wouldn’t share this story with the group, nor did we. But this blog doesn’t count, does it? 

Was Mijas worth all this trouble and strife? 

Hmmm??? Well no deliberation necessary here – a resounding “Yes it was!”.
AND I got my donkey ride!

Check out the following pictures - and click on them to view best!  (See my donkey's ears in the picture?  Although I was terrified to take my hands away from the reins for more than a second or two, I did snap this picture!)









 

4 comments:

  1. Not to worry - I could tell you some great getting lost travel stories from Italy - and there is not usually a language barrier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to hear about your getting lost stories in Italy! :)

      Delete
    2. My favorite story is from my first visit to Naples - I'll try to email it to you but feel free to remind me as it will have to be in the new year ;)

      Delete
    3. I'll remind you! Happy New Year to you and yours!

      Delete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)