Wednesday 24 December 2014

Memories of a lesson learned in Mijas...

In Spain I learned a hard lesson. 

I learned that just because I was nicknamed “Marco Polo” by my previous trip’s group (due to my ability to navigate easily throughout the labyrinth that is Venice without getting lost), does not mean I actually have superior navigational abilities. Somehow I let my reputation go to my head and -  as fate will have it - have been profoundly humbled ….

It all started with my decision to forgo the optional tour to Morocco, opting instead to go to Mijas – a white washed, quintessentially Spanish village perched on the side of a cliff. I had read reviews on this village and despite the strong lure of the exotic shores of Africa, Mijas ended up winning the day. (Oddly the possibility of a donkey ride rather than a camel ride tipped the scale, although why either is appealing to me is still a bit of a mystery.)

Because it was not part of the regular tour itinerary, if you were going to Mijas you were ‘on your own’. Of course this sounds a lot harsher than reality. A person may be ‘on his/her own’ but of course you could still seek and obtain directions from our incredibly patient and helpful leader, Antonio. 

 Problems resulted, however, when:
a) I didn’t pay close enough attention to Antonio (a character trait he had to deal with more than once with me, poor man)
b) I didn’t take good notes, and
c) I got conflicting directions from Spanish people and tourists on the street with whom I also consulted

This situation was further complicated by the fact that there were four of us from the group who opted for going to Mijas – Nancy, Terry, one of the two Ellens and I – and we all interpreted Antonio’s directions in a different way.

Suffice it to say that confusion reigned. At one point Terry sat down at a bus stop bench and proclaimed that was the right spot to catch the bus to Mijas. However, he was over ruled and on we trekked. 

To make an already long story somewhat shorter, we did eventually find and get on the correct bus to Mijas.
:)
However, it also stopped and picked up passengers at the very spot Terry had said it would.
:(
Nancy must have queried why he didn’t stand his ground since I overheard Terry say to her… “With three women telling me something else I knew I could never win…”

Well, it had to be said, so I said it. “Terry. You were right and I was wrong.”

Terry simply said, “Thank you.”

:) :( :) :(

Enjoy a few pictures (more on Mijas later).  Remember to click on them to bring them into full screen for best results.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)