Saturday 22 March 2014

Going solo with Rick Steves - Pre tour tour number two!

At the moment I am imagining myself in Venice.  I am imagining myself in Venice on my own.  I imagine myself meandering through all its alleys and squares, over bridges and into churches.  I have no timetable.  I stop and sit on the steps of canals, take many photos and check out a few shops. Bliss.  

 I will be buying myself a vaporetto pass - unlimited travel up and down the Grand Canal on its "bus service".  This I hope to utilize particularly in the evening time when imagining myself alone in Venice does make me  (I admit it) a bit apprehensive.  I intend to ride up and down, stopping at a few stops for a 'wee walk' before catching the next one.


The last time I was in Venice Peni (an old and good friend from University of Waterloo who went with me) and I did get 'out and about' in the evening going to a fantastic symphonic concert in the prison block attached to the Doge's palace (wonderful!) as well as taking a "Ghost Walk" (hokey but fun). 


I considered doing these activities again but in truth wanted to do something different.  One choice - quickly rejected - was going to an operatic concert but I really, truly, genuinely do not like the 'classical voice' - and yes people (!) I have given it a try going to 3 productions in Toronto when I lived there.  Each time I left at half time.  (Note to self:  Do not admit this to any Italian while there.  They take their opera seriously.)  So, the question remained, "What can I do this time?" 

 No dream of Venice can be without the dream of sitting and sipping a glass of Italian wine al fresco (really hoping that means "out doors" and not "naked").  I also like to eat. SO, my next 'tour before the tour' is an 'eat and drink pub crawl'.  This tour (offered by Urban Tours) is a 3 hour tour of only 12 people - grouped by similar ages I am told - and hope. I am middle aged and a middle aged person's idea of a historical walk and pub crawl is probably very different from that of a young person's.   We shall walk with a guide who will point out the history and stories of historical pubs.  We shall stop at 4 or 5 pubs where we will be treated to a glass of wine and an appetizer.  Out in Venice after dark, with people, with 'munchies', with wine!  What could be better?





Going solo with Rick Steves




2 comments:

  1. Exciting!! I have not been to a classical opera yet I don't think... I've been to Cats though and loved that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to three - a Polish modern one. Horrible. Then an English production, in English. Horrible. Then I went to a classical Italian one. I did not like it. I did not like it at all. I love the romantic, Italian music by Alessandro Safina - see this utube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLe0Gc7jE7g I just don't like opera.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)