Wednesday 12 March 2014

Goin' Solo with Rick Steves' - Making the decision


Life is sweet but life is short. Moreover, at my age - past my prime so to speak - the sense of my own mortality deepens with each passing day (or at least each passing birthday). As such, I have decided not to wait on the plans of others anymore, take my destiny into my own hands and (deep breath!) book myself on a trip to Italy. By myself. Without a known traveling companion. Yes, that's correct - bound for Italy - but goin' solo!





Once the decision was made, another more important decision had to be made. I know myself and have traveled in the past. If I was going to travel to Italy on my own I had to join a tour.  I have gone to Europe twice before but always with a friend and not on an arranged tour. This time a tour it must be. But which one?  This one? That one? Which one? Which one? An important decision. Thus the search began for the 'right match' for me. (Oh no! The pressure was on!)




To be honest, it didn't take me long to find the right match - as soon as I came across the "Rick Steves' Tours" I instantly knew that it was 'IT'.  I've used Rick's tour guide books in the past.  I've watched his travel shows on PBS stations.  Before my last trip two years previous to Italy (hence pictures already) I booked his DVDs out of the library.  



I liked all his products.  I trusted him as a source. More research resulted in more motivating factors - to whit, his tours only have 28 people.  His tours have dedicated, well educated tour guides.  His tours stay in family run, smaller establishments.  In other words, promises of a more intimate, more 'authentic' visit.    So (deep breath!) and taking a wild leap of faith for me, I booked my Venice, Florence, Rome adventure!  ......






.....Goin' solo with Rick Steves'!







8 comments:

  1. Your photographs look great on here! :) Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Keep tuned for more posts. :) - And thank your husband for providing me with this 'create your own blog' link.

      Delete
  2. Yay for starting a blog! You have a poetic way of writing - keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'm excited for you and am happy to have the opportunity to travel vicariously :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nola! And hope your trip to Indianapolis was fun and worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooo excited for you - you will have an amazing time just worrying about yourself and your own interests at your own speed! It sounds like you've picked some excellent pre-tours as well as the big tour. I'll be following your travels - bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)