Tuesday 18 March 2014

Going solo with Rick Steves - Pre tour tour!

One of the reasons I booked this particular tour is because it begins in Venice, my favourite city in the entire world.  


Venice is a remarkable, magical place - and one that is easy to be in by oneself.   (I think... I hope....  I wish....  At least that's what I'm banking on.)   


 It is small.  It has no traffic. A person can wander for hours and never be bored.  Each corner, each bridge reveals another incredible view - creating, in turn, another incredible memory.  All that even before all the marvelous attractions, museums and churches to visit.  So - very, very deep breath - I decided to go a good 5 days in advance and 'hang out' in Venice on my own.  (Boy, I'm getting adventurous, yes?  SO not like me.)


Since I will be traveling solo I thought I would 'indulge myself' in a few extra treats (as if going on this tour itself is not a huge indulgent treat in and of itself!).  I hit my favourite research tool - the internet and (lo and behold) up popped a possibility... a "Photo Walk with Marco".  Check out his website:

http://www.marcosecchi.com/blog/venice-photo-walk-tour/#.UyjUPYXJFqA

Marco is a professional photographer and also has lived in Venice for many years.  His tours promise to be customized to whatever interests you and is well endorsed as per another of my favourite research tools - tripadvisor.  In addition to promising to introduce me to the "real Venice", answer questions regarding cafes, modestly priced restaurants (Who am I kidding?  Cheap restaurants.), buying wine along a canal, tipping, etc. etc. etc. he will also instruct me in how to best use my modest digital camera.  (And yes, I do know the enigmatic boy with a frog is no longer there.)



I think I have a pretty good 'eye' for a shot (or at least not too bad?), but have no idea how to use any manual settings on my camera.  Marco I need your help! 


 While expensive (very, very - at least for me), I thought this was an opportunity to do this sort of tour - when other "future travel companions" aren't around and who may not share the same interests.  SO, caution to the wind and dipping into those travel savings, photo walk with Marco here I come!



 Goin' solo with Rick Steves.









2 comments:

  1. I would not hesitate to go to Venice or Rome by myself, after visiting those places in 2012. I felt comfortable and safe in both places. So much to see and discover! You will have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather! Next time you and Ed will have to come with me... or if Ed's not keen, then thee and me.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)