Sunday 7 September 2014

The Scala Contarini del Bolovo and other Venice memories

Hmmm???  Seems to be Venice heavy, this blog, yes?  Venice is a sparkling memory, of course.  However, I also did spend a number of extra days there in advance of joining the tour - in total I spend 7 days there, so half my time.  Florence, Rome - much shorter.  That will explain in part why it is Venice that is highlighted more.  I only hope it's not boring 'ya all'....

This is a picture I captured of a young adolescent out on his boat.  At the time I took it I thought it was absolutely enchanting to see him out and about in his city, enjoying his leisure time in his boat.  I was struck by how very different his pass time was from what my friends and I would have been doing in Regina, in the Saskatchewan prairies at his age.

Later - many, many hours later - I saw him again.  Alas, no picture.  I was in the vaporetto on the Grand Canal but there he was steadily rowing right down the middle.  He seemed like he was in a trance.

Hmmm?  I wonder if he is practicing to be a gondolier?  Alessandro said most gondoliers started young and that it took lots of practice!  Good luck to him. 



More pictures





The Scala Contarini del Bolovo
This unique building in Venice is a small palace hidden away in an obscure little campo.  But it's worth the hunt!  It is undergoing renovations but soon will be open to the public I think.  (Hey!  Another good reason to return to Venice!)

This lovely, elegant spiral staircase is unlike anything you will see elsewhere in Venice.  The spiral is reminiscent of a snail's shell (Bolovo), hence its name.  (Earlier I had posted a picture of the roof tops of Venice from its bell tower... can you find this building in it?  I bet you can!)




 

2 comments:

  1. I am totally looking forward to The Scala Contarini del Bolovo being open to the public. I would love to take pictures from the view inside! Thanks for the restoration update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. There is also some sort of ghost story associated with it that I can't remember (!) and want to learn again... google has not been helpful this time.

      Delete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)