Friday 20 June 2014

Travel memory - Rome Subway - Story # 1...

This is a travel memory I cherish of the Rome subway and the Roman people.

Side note:  Travel story #2 on the Rome subway will be much more dramatic, but you'll just have to wait for that one until I have the time and inclination to do it justice.  So stay tuned.

In the meantime (woman!) get on with your story!!!  
(Oh, alright, okay then.)

This occurred on the final day I spent in Rome.  Although Rick Steves' had provided us each with a 3 day pass for the subway while on its tour (very, very handy), on the final day I was on my own having decided to stay one extra day to see the Borghese Gallery.  As such, my subway pass was no longer valid.

No worries. I was familiar with the system having been riding it for a few days and during that time I had taken note of the subway ticket booths in each of its stations.  No problem-oh.  

As usual, life doesn't always work as you had planned.  The final day of my tour was a Sunday and to my wee dismay all the subway ticket booths were closed. So now what? Walk?  Well, from where I was to where I was going, doable but not really a great option.  Or attempt to get a ticket from the subway ticket dispenser machine.  Yes, of course, that was the only sensible thing to do.  Deep breath Carolynn!  You can do it!

Now don't think that the Roman people aren't fully aware of the reality of the tens of thousands (probably 100s of thousands) of English speaking people who flock to their city each year and may wish to ride their subway.  I state upfront that directions in English was available. 

I even had my two Euro coins (the ride only 1.5 Euro).  I stood in front of the machine and  pressed a button.  It showed one ride, total 1.5 Euro.  GREAT!  

However, that's where any 'greatness' ended.  I had no idea what to do after that point.  I pressed another button and it bumped it up to two tickets.  

I cancelled it.  

I pressed that same button again and it bumped it up to two tickets. 

I cancelled it.

I stood before the machine doing nothing.  I pressed that same button again and it bumped it up to two tickets.  

I cancelled it once again.

That is when the very nice, very good looking Italian man (how is it that there is such a high percentage of good looking Italian men?) standing behind me tapped me on the shoulder.  He didn't speak any English, but he was smiling and very, very patient as he gestured me, quite elegantly I might add, through the process.  

He must have been related to my Regina "car wash man" given how in no way, shape or form did he make me feel stupid, or show any annoyance.  Si, si, yes, yes, it is true it was in his own self interest to help me, but you know he didn't need to do it so beautifully, patiently and graciously.   There are lovely people out there.  






2 comments:

  1. I have also found that the Chinese I encountered were extremely gracious and patient with us when we traveled around, trying to do business in a language we don't understand. It's something we can learn from them and bring back to Canada, I think. As a society, we have a lot less patience with people who don't speak the local language.

    Glad your ticket buying endeavour eventually ended in success. Though, I find it amusing that you tried the same button three times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: keeping hitting the same button...yes, not sure what I was hoping to accomplish. I was in this little fog of bewilderment. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)