Monday 23 June 2014

Traghetto crossing

Given that I started this blog with the theme "Going Solo with Rick Steves'!" it has occurred to me that it has been a while since I have made a comment on it regarding that aspect of my Italian adventure. 

I must say 'going solo' was a great success, but not, I believe, was this down to "luck", or at least not solely.   In this case, I am going to (and unusually) give myself a light pat on the back for having made some good decisions. 

(Question to ponder:  Is it unusual for me to acknowledge my good decisions, or is it unusual for me to make good decisions?  Ah, well, never mind, still going to do it....)

Good job Carolynn!  Pat. Pat.

One of those decisions, of course, was in choosing the Rick Steves' tour that I did, but more on that later when I concentrate a few posts on features of that tour.  (I'm always making people wait, aren't I?)

However, other decisions I did make and of which I am proud was that I had reflected upon and researched my trip fairly thoroughly before I left, knowing myself and my own comfort level.  Consequently, I was constantly reminding myself that I would be on my own and every choice was put to the ultimate test question:  "Would I be okay doing this by myself?"  

For some decisions the answer was so clear.  Chrystal clear in fact.  One such decision was in booking - for one of those days before I met the tour group - the "Cicchetti tour", or in other words, a pub crawl with appetizers.

Now don't curse me but you will have to wait (AGAIN) for me to expand on that experience.  The reason I touch on it now is because it introduced me to a feature of Venetian life that while I had always known about it, had never had the courage to try on my own.  To whit, the Traghetti crossings over the Grand Canal.

The Grand Canal is long and there are only 4 bridges that span it.  Therefore, in order to cross to the other side a person has only two options - walk to a bridge, possibly a good distance given the labyrinth of calles you may have to negotiate to get there, or fork over a hefty sum of 6 - 7 Euro to get on a vaporetto (water bus) that zig zags to stops on each side of it.  

But wait!  No!  There is a third option - you can use a Traghetto crossing!  Traghetti (plural) are essentially ferry crossings that take you from one side of the Grand Canal to the other. For the sum of only 2 Euro (only 70 cents if you are a Venetian resident) you can be taken across in a - yes - gondola!  There are 7 such crossings. 

It is a marvelous feature and great fun.  But don't expect a fancy gondola - the cushioned seats and other wonderful decorations aren't there, nor is the possibility of Italian singing (unless of course your gondolier is in an exceptionally good mood and prone to that) - but the ride is pretty cool none the less. 

As a part of the Cicchetti tour I was exposed to how this 'system' worked and - should I ever be in Venice again (oops - I mean the next time I am in Venice) I shall avail myself of this service. 








Venetians tend to stand for the crossing but tourists sit.  In our case we were directed to do so - with so many we didn't want to end up in the brink. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the last pic! Yeah...I wouldn't stand up either!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite picture is the first one, with the colour of the sky, the gesture of the gondolier and the wonderful Venetian who stands to cross, amid all us tourists.

      Delete

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)