Wednesday 17 June 2015

Highlight photos - Santa Maria in Trastevere

On this, my 4th visit to Rome, I wanted to do 'new things' not just the 'regular things'.  I had never before explored the Trastevere district of Rome.  This time I did.

It was wonderful.

The Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere (English: Our Lady in Trastevere) is a minor basilica in the Trastevere district of Rome, and one of the oldest churches of Rome. The basic floor plan and wall structure of the church date back to the 340s, and much of the structure to 1140-43. The first sanctuary was built in 221 and 227 by Pope Callixtus and later completed by Pope Julius.The church has large areas of important mosaics from the late 13th century by Pietro Cavallini.
The inscription on the episcopal throne states that it is the first church dedicated to Mary, mother of Jesus, although some claim that privilege belongs to the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. In its founding it is certainly one of the oldest churches in the city. 


I had a 'moment' when I entered this square.  
The Basilica, its shining mosaics on its facade, the fountain, the stillness - and there was an accordion player playing music.

I felt I was meant to be exactly where I was.


It was exquisite. 

The interior was awe inspiring.   


Like my dear cousin Heather, love that Jesus is putting his arm around his mother!

(Click on pictures for best viewing!)










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment but please always remain respectful. Thank you. The management. :)